A few days ago a usual visit to the beach turned into a rare spectacle, the moon rose and the waves beneath danced and shimmered in the moonlight. The moon looked resplendent and I simply stood there hypnotized by its divine beauty.
As I immersed myself completely in this enchanting scenery I discovered these 5 amazing moon-inspired life lessons:
- We know that the moon goes through these phases of waxing and waning every month, in waxing, the moon gradually increases towards a full moon while in the waning phase it decreases and gives way to a new moon. And by Allah’s command this miracle occurs impeccably each month. We humans too experience a related cycle of growth and failure, simply as the moon waxes gradually and overcomes the darkness on a full moon day we too grow each day as a person until we reach our full potential. And as the moon wanes and gives way to a new moon every fortnight, we should also let all the darkness within us diminish, and embrace the new us.
- The moon also teaches us this wonderful life lesson that Allah (SWT) has blessed each of us with an opportunity to shine and bask in our own glory. Likewise, each celestial body be it the star or the moon or sun is blessed with its own beauty and achieves its full splendor only at the appointed time and not even a second before it. Sometimes it might take a few weeks, months or even years for this phenomenon to take place but it will surely happen and when it does it will be truly heavenly and worth the wait.
- Allah (SWT) has mentioned in the Quran, – “ Neither can the sun overtake the moon, nor does the night precede the day. Each of them is floating in an orbit” – Qur’an 36: 40. Each of us have been created in perfect harmony and with unique strengths and distinct paths to follow. Just, as the moon doesn’t overtake the sun or vice versa, Allah (SWT) has created each of us with unique attributes so that we could co-exist peacefully. So, all we need to do is commit and accept our current place on this journey and ensure that we do not surpass one another.
- Most of our time is spent on focusing on the mundane or frivolous stuff. Sometimes we are so lost in the daily grind that we forget to marvel and soak in the natural beauty around us. Sunrises, moon rises, eclipses happen regularly but then how often do we pause and reflect upon these miracles. In fact, as Allah (SWT) says, “Surely, in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the alternation of night and day, there are signs for those who possess intelligence.” So, what we see is what we get, and in the transitions of the moon we have some intuitive messages – all we need to do is to be more mindful of our surroundings, for if we look around us we will definitely find meaning and fulfillment in the most unexpected places.
- Like the moon, we should feel confident about ourselves because despite being flawed it outshines the stars and planets in the night sky. In each of its phases it flaunts its imperfectly perfect beauty. As humans no matter how imperfect or flawed we are, it is these scars and vulnerabilities that make us who we are. All these imperfections surrounding us make us reflect and introspect and affirm that indeed Allah (SWT) has created everything in perfection and with a purpose. “The work of Allah who has perfected everything (He created)” –Qur’an 27:88.
So, the next time you watch the moon just pause and admire its elegance, appreciate its imperfections and transitions, look at it as a beacon of hope and find solace in its existence.